Home

Para Espanol
History
Obituaries
Archived Obituaries
Services
Preplanning
Grief Support
Our Staff
Churches
Cemeteries
Florists
Directions to Kuhlers
Other Links
Contact us
Monuments & Markers  

 

Kuhler Funeral Home

 

Our History

    The Kuhler Funeral Home began as the Aaseth Funeral Home, which was established by Keith and Isobel Aaseth on January 1, 1947.  The business was first located in a large three-story wood frame house located at 431 Third Street Southwest in Huron.  On February 1, 1954, they opened their new funeral home, a colonial-style red brick structure at 1360 Dakota Avenue South, which was then located at the southern edge of Huron.  Keith and Isobel operated an ambulance service in conjunction with the funeral home until December 31, 1959, at which time they turned over the ambulance service to the Huron Fire Department.  Between the two of them, Keith and Isobel held the office of Beadle County Coroner for a total of fourteen years.

    On January 1, 1978, George and Deborah Kuhler purchased the Aaseth Funeral Home, adding their name to the business in 1979.     On June 1, 1985, the Kuhlers purchased the Brooks Memorial Chapel of Huron.  Ralph and Anna Marie Brooks had originally established the Brooks Memorial Chapel in Wolsey in 1961, and had remodeled the former Grace Episcopal Church building for use as a funeral home in Huron. The name of the funeral home was changed to the Kuhler Funeral Home in October 1986. The Kuhlers have continued the tradition of providing family owned funeral service begun by Keith and Isobel Aaseth, and Ralph and Anna Marie Brooks to Huron and the surrounding area. 

    Kuhler Bereavement Services was added in 1985, which includes community education, continuing care services, and grief and loss counseling. 

  Kuhler Funeral Home has been certified as a "Pursuit of Excellence" funeral home by the National Funeral Directors Association.  In 2006 they were honored for their longevity and consistency in participating in the Pursuit of Excellence program.  The firm received a Hall of Excellence medal and have their firm's name and location on the official Hall of Excellence plaque at the National Funeral Directors Association headquarters.  In addition, the firm is the proud recipient of the Order of Golden Rule's Gold Public Approval Award. 

   Kuhler Funeral Home is Huron's only independent and entirely locally owned funeral home.  The funeral home is a member of the National Funeral Directors Association, the South Dakota Funeral Directors Association, the International Order of the Golden Rule, and the Funeral Ethics Association.

Back Next